"This is heaven! I thought. Strangers come to solve your problems even before you ask for help (275)!" Le Ly thought this when she started working at the hospital and Red, who welcomed her there, told her that he pretty much has her back. He told her, "Don't worry. You're not the first girl Sergeant Fingers has latched onto. His reputation is all over the hospital. He likes young women- especially those from the country who aren't too experienced. If he gives you trouble, let me know and I'll get you another assignment." Red's looking out for Le Ly gave her the feeling that, "she was almost in paradise". I think after all she's been through, that it's good for her to have someone that cares to show her the ropes at the hospital. I thought about how awesome it would be to have that kind of faith in humanity. I know my grandparents talk about "the good 'ol days" when neighbors supported neighbors and strangers tipped their hats, and I like to think about how that kind of gentleness and kindness toward one another is in today's society. I hate when people say, "this generation is such a mess", or "kids these days", because even though I do think it's different than it was 50 years ago, I still see demonstrations of watching out for your neighbors and sharing kindness and love in the world through charity and service.
No comments:
Post a Comment