Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chapter Ten- Power on Earth- Ready Before I Knew It

"I cannot remember the exact moment I decided to leave Vietnam. But one day I became aware that everything I had done for the past few months had been a preparation for departure- a ritual leave-taking that meant little when those acts were considered by themselves but, when viewed together, were much like my father's own preparations in anticipation of his death (255)." In this quote, I inferred about what Le Ly was trying to get across here, and I think through this passage that she is implying a maxim. Abraham Lincoln once said, "The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." I think Le Ly took her future on one day at a time and through the things she would have done normally, she was better prepared to leave Vietnam. I thought about my own personal life at this point, and I thought about how there were certain places in my life that foreshadowed and prepared me to better take on my life. There was one time, my freshman year when I went to Center Grove, that my best friend Sydni and I were going to go to Roncalli for a soccer game. We got so lost on the way up there, but once we got there i literally remember thinking, I've never thought about Catholic school before, a prep school would probably be a lot better than where I'm at. I loved Center Grove, but when I was introduced randomly by my parents the idea to switch schools, I had already had an inkling because I had literally just been there. Things ended up falling into place and I ended up going to Roncalli the next school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment